Union Approved Vendors
- Social Media
- Unions Go Green
- Accounting Services
- American Made Products
- Computers and Technology
- Event Planning
- Financial Services
- Funeral Services
- Go Green
- Health & Wellness
- Health Care Services
- Identity Theft
- Lasik Eye Surgery
- Legal Services
- Marketing & Advertising
- Mortgage and Debt Payoff
- Printing Services
- Real Estate
- Union Facts
- Union Benefits
- Union Resources
Unions Go Green
- Categorized in: Unions Go Green
Do your part to help!
Why "go green"?
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the world population is expanding at a mind-boggling rate. The world reached 1 billion people in 1800; 2 billion by 1922; and over 6 billion by 2000. It is estimated that the population will swell to over 9 billion by 2050. That means that if the world’s natural resources were evenly distributed, people in 2050 will only have 25% of the resources per capita that people in 1950 had.
The world has a fixed amount of natural resources - some of which are already depleted. So as population growth greatly strains our finite resources, there are fewer resources available. If we intend to leave our children and grandchildren with the same standard of living we have enjoyed, we must preserve the foundation of that standard of living. We save for college educations, orthodontia, and weddings, but what about saving clean air, water, fuel sources and soil for future generations?
Some of the greatest threats to future resources come from things we throw away everyday. Household batteries and electronics often contain dangerous chemicals that may, if sent to a local landfill, leak through the bottom barrier and pollute the groundwater. This can contaminate everything from the soil in which our food grows, to the water which will eventually come out of aquifers and into our tap water. Many of these chemicals cannot be removed from the drinking water supply, nor from the crops that are harvested from contaminated fields. The risks to human health are tremendous.
Throwing away items that could be recycled diminishes energy, water and natural resources that could be saved by recycling.
Did you know...
- For every ton of paper that is recycled, the following is saved: 7,000 gallons of water; 380 gallons of oil; and enough electricity to power an average house for six months.
- You can run a TV for six hours on the amount of electricity that is saved by recycling one aluminum can.
- By recycling just one glass bottle, you save enough electricity to power a 100-watt bulb for four hours.
The more we throw away, the more space we take up in landfills. When a landfill becomes a “landfull”, taxpayers have to build a new one. The less we throw away, the longer our landfills will last. The amount of taxpayer money we save by extending the longevity of our landfills is an important community benefit.
Email to Friend
Fill in the form below to send this web page to a friend:
- ABC Defibrillators/ AED's on the Union Jobsite
- Accounting for Unions
- Advertise your Company to Labor Unions
- American Made
- American Made Automobiles for Union Members
- American Made Automobiles for Union Members to shop
- Americans For Tax Reform
- An Ancient Wisdom Fits Current Economics
- Annuites "Brand Annunites for Working Familes"
- Answers to Common Questions People Have About Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI)
- Asian Pacific American Labor Alliance
- Bail Out Union Pensions and Support The Working People of America
- BANKRUPTCY DICTIONARY OF TERMS
- Bankruptcy for Union Members, "Chapter 7"
- BEWARE OF OUTSOURCING YOUR TECHNOLOGY TO SMARTDATA INC.
- Billions of Text Messages sent in the first half of 2009
- Boycott Hotels
- Built Green with Union Labor
- Buy American Made
- Credit Card Relief Helps Union Members!
- Insurance " Long Term Care"
- Insurance "Affordable Health"
- Insurance "No Exam Life"
- No Spend Zone: Not Union Friendly Companies
- Retirement Calculators
- Reverse Mortgage Calculator
- Social Media Launches at Unions.org
- The Union Edge Radio
- Tips for Successfully Starting a New Business
- Treatment of Malignant Mesothelioma for Union Members
- Union based Occupatiions increase tobacco use
- Union Blog
- Union Facebook
- Union Prescription Discounts "Nation's Best Drug Card" Free
- Unions Go Green
- What is ERISA?